Pecan Pie Energy Balls
I am a self-diagnosed snack-aholic. Having the eating habits of a 5-year-old child have me reaching for the nearest junk food at 10AM and 3PM, and often many times in between. Finding tasty snacks that offer both valuable nutrients and satisfying flavor is tough - like really tough.
But not any more. I finally gave in and jumped on the energy ball band wagon. I looked at a lot of different recipes and kept discovering the same thing: I was going to have to make a special trip to the grocery store to get all the specialty ingredients just to be able to make them.
So I decided to turn to my own recipe innovation, using simple baking ingredients that are commonly found in most pantries.
Why I Love This Recipe:
1. Have you ever tried Chocolate No-Bake Cookies? These are very similar in flavor, but without loads of butter and refined sugar.
2. These energy balls store very nicely. Stick them in the refrigerator if you are planning to enjoy them within a week or stick them in the freezer to enjoy them for the next couple months.
3. Tasty to all ages! Maybe you have snack-y kiddos that depend on pick-me-ups every hour, or maybe you need mid-day boosts, these energy balls deliver healthy fats, fiber, vitamins and sweetness to boost your energy without a crash.
1/2 Cup Sweetened Coconut, toasted (I toasted mine on medium heat in a cast iron skillet and stirred constantly until evenly browned)
1 Cup Pecan Butter ( I used my recipe. But you can finely grind 2 cups of pecan halves and set a side instead)
1/3 Cup Miller Pecan Company Pecan Meal
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
2 Tablespoons Honey
1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips (optional)
1. Combine toasted coconut, cinnamon, salt, oats and pecan meal.
2. Mix in pecan butter. Similar to a pie crust, the mixture will be crumbly at first. Continue mixing until the contents have completely combined.
3. Stir in maple syrup, honey and vanilla. These ingredients act as the glue that will allow the energy balls to fully set up. Add chocolate chips.
4. Finally, create 1-inch balls with the mixture. Place balls on parchment paper, allow to set-up in the refrigerator, or consume immeadiately .
5. Enjoy clean energy without a crash!